Thursday, November 19, 2009

Linux Vs Windows: Will they be friends?






I guess we all started our journey with windows. A lovely OS which gives us great flexibility and we are only limited with our own imagination. The learning curve is so smooth that we get use to Windows without even realizing it. No wonder windows is darling of the masses.
Later we may encounter Linux. I personally heard so much scary stuff about Linux before experiencing it for first time that it really took lot of courage to try Linux for first time. With some initial hickup and struggle i sat on top of this wild horse. Reading few books on unix/linux helped me appreciate the beauty of Linux.
During my industry experience I had opportunity to work on Linux and Windows kernel development. It greatly helped me in understanding of internal architecture and hidden stuffs. Honestly i become great fan for Linux. It is a great example of what a marvel gets created when great minds work. The open source of Linux is a killing advantage of Linux on Windows. I believe its OS developed by programmers for programmers. It gives editor, compiler and everything a programmer wants from OS. Other then cost, Linux heavily scores on stability and performance.
When i was developing linux device driver, I use to crash my OS 20 times a day still the poor chap never asked me to reinstall. Try this on windows and compare stability :)
Windows score heavily on simplicity and usability. Windows is a OS for the masses. Nine out of ten would prefer simplicity over performance. Thats the key to success of windows. MS gave world a clean interface which will hide the scary world of hardware. Linux is trying to improve on usability and on the other hand windows is improving on performance and stability. Seeing is believing so have a look at the new fedora or Suse GUI for usability. Even today lot of software /embedded development happens on Windows as it has great customer base. Linux popularity is improving but its still a minority compared to windows mass appeal.
A programmer may find Linux enviorment great while his parents and wife may throw the computer to trash if they are asked to use linux. Both Os have a great value in our life. They compliment each other nicely and serve different section of pyramid. My laptop has linux for my programming and windows for my wife/parents. For me linux and windows are not competitors but friends.
Above are my personal views and i request readers to kindly post their comments.

3 comments:

  1. This is probably the most balanced review of these 2 OS's I've ever read. 100% spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashish,
    Thanks for your experience and sharing thoughts on Job hunting.
    Your experience has taken me back in year of 1997-98 during which i landed in a job then later tried hard myself to find a job in US worked couple of years.later worked in MNC's, deputed for a short term in Japan, Muscat etc.
    However i back to square 1 ,searching for Job again.
    with my strong foot hold in Mainframes,Delivery management & multiskilled in Sun/Microsoft technologies its been difficult to find a job since' feb'09.
    ...But continue to exploring the opportunities around the world.

    Regards
    Sathish

    ReplyDelete
  3. To find out your dream job in Australia contact at Job Agencies Canberra

    ReplyDelete